An idyllic rural setting some eight miles upstream from the mouth of the River Spey
The Orton Water on the River Spey, one of Scotland’s most famous salmon fishing rivers, is part of an idyllic rural setting some eight miles upstream from the mouth of the River. Part of the stunning scenery of the Spey valley, the Orton Water is one of the more prolific beats on the Spey in numbers of fish caught, and in size, such that this stretch of one of the premier Scottish rivers is part of many an angler’s ambitions. Fishing is for Salmon, Grilse, Sea Trout and Brown Trout from both banks of the river in 15 named pools on 2 beats.
The comfortable and elegantly furnished accommodation in one of our fishing cottages helps to give your fishing holiday the personal touch and privacy that you won’t find in a hotel. They are all within walking distance of our beats on the River Spey and enjoy a sense of seclusion and privacy. They are also within easy driving distance from other beats on the lower Spey.
Every dietary requirement can be accommodated by the chefs that we recommend if you would like help with the preparation of your meals. They specialise in preparing locally produced food for you. You may of course prefer to cater for yourselves, either way, your property can be serviced by our team of housekeeping staff on a daily basis. This will allow you to enjoy your fishing break as fully as possible. Dogs are always welcome.
Upper Orton consists of the following pools: - House, Glide, Willows, Couperee and Upper Cairnty.
Lower Orton consists of the following pools: - Lower Cairnty, Arns, Island Point, Island Stream, Wee New, Twenty Pound, Junction and Turn Pools.
For the latest availability, please check below, where you can also make a booking. Alternatively, you can call the estate office on +44 (0)1343 880240 or email us here.
We have a plentiful supply of self-catered accommodation, even at short notice, for fishing parties who find themselves unable to secure fishing on the Orton water but have found fishing on neighbouring beats. All of our holiday houses, large and small feature their availability on the Reservation Chart at the bottom of the relevant page.
- The fishing season on the River Spey commences on February 11th and closes on September 30th.
- Fishing hours are 0900hrs to 1700hrs Monday through to Saturday.
- Fishers can arrange to fish outside these hours in advance with the Head Ghillie.
- The service of one Ghillie is provided for every three rods.
- The Orton Water stretches for just less than two miles and fishing is from both banks, wading, or from one of four boats.
- As game fishing in Scotland is not permitted on a Sunday, our weekly fishing lets run from Monday morning through to Saturday evening, with accommodation running from Sunday evening of arrival until Sunday morning of departure.
- It is important to familiarise yourself with the conditions of let before booking. These can be found here.